Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Friday, November 13, 2015

Thanksgiving Retail, 2015 Edition

It is that time of year again. Time for me to get on my soapbox about shopping on Thanksgiving. I feel as passionately as ever that it is a Nice Thing To Do on holidays, avoiding activity that requires others to be at work instead of at home.

Today, though, I won't rant about the negative.

Rather, I celebrate retailers who will not be opening on Thanksgiving. And a retailer who will be closed on Black Friday, as well.

First, a list of stores that will not be opening on Thanksgiving.  I bookmarked this last week, so maybe there's a more updated list out there. Some of the retailers on this list will be getting my business - and, when I visit, I plan to tell the manager that I applaud the decision. They need to have the feedback. (I am soooo happy Barnes and Noble is on the list!)

Next, the fantastic news that REI will not be open on Black Friday.  (Or Thanksgiving.) AND employees will be paid for not working, but for going outside to enjoy the world. Good plan. I think I'll plan to go outside that day, too. The next time I need something for running, I will reward them for their decision.

PS: Previous highly-opinionated posts about shopping on Thanksgiving can be found by clicking here and scrolling through the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment