Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Friday, October 9, 2015

St. Therese Roses

Last week, the final day of the St. Therese Novena, was the first day the flu hit me.  I plied myself with Advil in order to function, but I wasn't really running on all cylinders.

In a slightly hazy state of mind, I headed to the store for the things I needed to help myself and my sick little one get through our illness.  Whilst there, I picked up the roses I had pre-ordered to be used at the altar for the Mass on St. Therese's Feast Day.

Let me tell you, if you ever want to brighten the day of random strangers, purchase a large bunch of flowers and walk through the supermarket.  Almost every time I turned a corner, another person's eyes would light up at the huge bouquet I was pushing through the store.  I wasn't functioning well enough to share with everyone about St. Therese's shower of roses, but seeing so many smiling faces made my trip through the store a pleasant one.


It is a lovely bunch of roses!  I wish I'd been able to get a photo of them at their intended destination, but we'll have to be satisfied with the way they looked, waiting on my kitchen table.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about buying bouquets at a grocery. I remember a rainy winter evening a few years ago when I bought a bouquet at the grocery; as I walked out, everyone who was walking in looked cold and wet but when they saw my flowers, they seemed to forget the weather and would smile. I remember one gentleman commented as he saw me "For me?" as he jokingly reached out for the bouquet. I hesitated but then replied "Yes, they're for you!" and offered him the bouquet. He smiled and laughed and then politely refused the offer. But I'll never forget the look on his face.
    Glad you are feeling better! Thank you for the daily novena reminders last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how nice to know you had a similar experience. Maybe I should make it one of those "random acts of kindness" things: spreading cheer in the supermarket.

      Delete