I've been working on finding a (tasty, satisfactory) gluten-free biscuit recipe and finally tweaked it to my satisfaction the other day, when I did a legume-free, gluten-free sausage and gravy (adapted from Pioneer Woman).
|As golden as the wheat biscuits I baked for those who can eat wheat.|
I share this recipe because it is entirely my own. If it looks like one you've found elsewhere, it just means that someone else was clever enough to get it right before I did.
*Update: January, 2016 - baking powder was meant to be teaspoons, not tablespoons. Typo. Yikes.
Gluten-Free, Legume-Free Biscuits
½ cup + 1 TBL rice flour
2 TBL tapioca flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ stick butter, cut into inch-sized pieces
1/3 cup milk
* Mix in a bowl . . . . all dry ingredients
* Cut in with pastry blender, until incorporated . . . . Butter
* Stir in with wooden spoon . . . . Milk
* Two options: roll the dough out and cut biscuits into desired shape; scoop them with a spoon and drop them onto baking tray. (So much simpler!)
* Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Check after 10 minutes, though. They should be a golden-brown color.
Scone variation: Add 1 TBL sugar into the dry ingredients.