Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Monday, August 17, 2015

Gluten-free Crepe

It is funny how the smallest thing can inspire creativity.

Child 6 was watching Arthur.  Specifically, "The Butler Did . . . What?"  I was puttering about the kitchen, searching for breakfast inspiration.  In the episode that was playing on the television, Muffy demanded a chocolate-orange crepe.  That sounded good!  I wanted a chocolate-orange crepe, but wasn't sure how to go about it.

I went online and compared a handful of single-serving crepe recipes, made with wheat flour.  I cannot give credit to just one web site, as my recipe is an amalgam of recipes.  As well, I have not poached anyone's recipe (pun intended, since there's egg in crepe) and any similarities to others' are purely coincidental.

I decided what I thought  to be the best egg/flour/liquid ratio and substituted rice flour for the wheat.  If you want a wheat-flour crepe, use the wheat flour.  I've tried both flours with this key recipe, and they work equally well.


Rice-Flour Crepe Recipe for One

1 egg
1 TBL sugar
2 TBL flour
dash salt
1.5 TBL orange juice

Mix the ingredients in a bowl, with a fork or a whisk. Melt butter into a skillet (or use the leftover bacon grease already waiting in your cast iron skillet). Pour batter into hot oil. Let the crepe sit until the batter seems to be set; the whole crepe should move easily if you shake the skillet. Flip it to the other side. The edges will begin to curl upward when you know the crepe is about done. Flip it once more, just to make sure the other side looks done. Pop onto your plate.

Cover with chocolate sauce (recipe follows) and roll up the crepe.


Chocolate Sauce

The amounts are approximate, as chocolate chips melt differently, depending upon their ingredients. I use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips because they are free of soy.

1-2 TBL chocolate chips
1 tsp butter
splash of orange juice

Add the three ingredients to a bowl; melt in the microwave. If the mixture isn't smooth when you've stirred the melted concoction, add a small amount of butter and re-heat slightly until the chocolate is smooth. If the mixture is too watery, add some more chocolate (why not?) and re-heat until the desired consistency.
It is a very simple recipe.  A small luxury on a weekend morning.  And more proof that delicious eating and allergic living are not incompatible.


I shall work on my photography skills, the more food I share online.

No comments:

Post a Comment