Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Reading Road Trips


This link showed up on my Facebook feed only a week after one of my daughters was expressing how fun a literary road trip would be. 

Such a trip would have to include both novel-related locations and author-related locations. I might want to visit the place to see the sights and hear the sounds a favorite author saw and heard.  But, I might want to see the place because reading the book always made me want to visit.

My list of favorites?  Off the top of my head, in North America:

Prince Edward Island - for L.M. Montgomery
Concord, Massachusetts - Louisa May Alcott
Mankato, Minnesota - Maud Hart Lovelace
The rugged, non-populated California Coast - Gene Stratton Porter (yeah, she's also Indiana, I know)
Georgia - Flannery O'Connor
DeSmet, South Dakota & Mansfield, Missouri - Laura Ingalls Wilder

In Great Britain, I would like to do a tour of sites for GK Chesterton, CS Lewis, Jane Austen, and Robert Louis Stevenson in particular.  It is shameful how little literary touring we did in the UK.  We were very focused on political history and geography when we lived there, but we neglected too much literary history. 

Again, this list is just off the top of my head.  If I were able to plan such a road trip, I'd have to do a lot more thinking.  I'd add places such as New Mexico - Death Comes for the Archbishop isn't a book I read over and over, but the feel of it still inspires the desire to see Wide Open Space New Mexico. 

It's interesting that my road trip is notably rural in nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment