Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Monday, July 27, 2015

Pride - One of the Seven

Pondering the difference between those people who take offense easily and those who worry overly about causing offense. 

Every person alive does a bit of both, I suppose, but some are more extreme than others: overly sensitive people who take everything wrong; people pleasers who obsess over every inconsequential thing they've said to others. 

Smug me says that people pleasers have it better because they'll gain the solicitude of their fellow man more easily as they go through life. Realistic me knows that both ends of the spectrum suffer an insufferable pride that needs some attention. 

"O Jesus, I no longer care what people think of me. Truly I do not understand this pride. I believe that true heroism consists in constant fidelity to the humble and hidden way. I am happy when lost in the rank and file, and when I feel that I am counted as nothing. Then, only, can I walk in a glory that lights the soul without burning it."
General Louis-Gaston de Sonis, OCDS 

2 comments:

  1. I've very guilty of taking offense easily...but it depends on who the offender was. If I don't know them, I don't take offense..but someone close to me? That hurts more....maybe more than it should. I need a thicker skin sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know I need a thicker skin! Thanks for pointing out that new angle -- reflecting on how close I am to the offender. I have been known to lick wounds a long time over things said by people close to me, even as these are the same people I lie awake worrying about having offended!

    ReplyDelete