Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Allergy-Aware Food Pantries

Kansas Opens First Allergy-friendly, Gluten-Free Food Pantry in the US
I've wondered what we would do, if we were ever in financial straits and at the mercy of whatever food was on offer.  Half of our family would go down, quickly.  No jokes about natural selection, please.

This article reminds me that special needs diets exist beyond places where people pay money to have others prepare food.  There are celiacs, peanut-allergic, soy-allergic people out there who are struggling to make ends meet.  Not everyone goes gluten-free because it's the latest diet fad, despite what the cynics might say. I'm glad to see that there is a food pantry to meet special needs.  It's sad it's the first of its kind in the country. I wonder what the local need is.  I am not able to provide for every needy person who visits our local food pantry, but I'd be happy to make my donations allergy-friendly.  I shall have to investigate this.


source

No comments:

Post a Comment