Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Garden Journal Vol 1, Issue 1

Gardening journals.  They are something that I try to keep up with, if only to reassure myself as the years go by that it really is all right that a certain plant hasn't yet bloomed by the expected date.  Often, that expected date was something I'd conjured up in my head, forgetting what the plant had done in previous years.

None of the journaling in my garden file folder contains photos.  Enter: the blog!

I wish I'd thought to do this earlier in the season.  No matter.  Last weekend's work:

 
I remembered only after getting started that I'd want photographic proof of my labor under the hot sun.  One bed cleared; the foreground of the photo shows both plants waiting to be planted and weeds about to be weeded.  That tarp is from B&Q - it has held up so well over the years.
 

 Completed!  That is the new asparagus bed, way up at the top.  Chives in full bloom.  Newly planted: tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, cayenne peppers, and cucumber.

 
Another view.
 
 
 
Let us pause for the moment to admire the lovely quality of the soil in this pot.  That soil is home-grown.  It came from the compost pile and it is what happens when the detritus of the garden has been left to decompose.  The color is a lovely dark brown.  The consistency is a fluffy dirt that should make those pepper plants weep for joy.  The smell is that of a rich soil.
 
It is true that there are still chunks in it.  Bits from the ornamental garden grasses haven't quite broken down.  When it is time to put the garden to bed this fall, or perhaps next spring, I will be scooping out the whole pile to add to the vegetable and fruit gardens.  In the meantime, it's where I go to get soil for pots.

 
Progress on the Mary Garden.  Marigolds are the only annual in this border.  The small plants are all herbs taken from this list of Mary Garden plants.  My plan is to label them with some sort of permanent labels, sharing their traditional (pre-Reformation) names.


A happy petunia.  Why is it happy?  It is growing in the lovely soil taken from my compost bin, thanks for asking.

Just a handful of photos.  A lot more work went into this endeavor than is evident from the scant photographic evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment