Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Breaking News!

Breaking news in that this is the first time I've read this.  This was published in April:

Bishop Larry Silva: Returning the sacraments of initiation to their proper order

This is awesome news.  I pray, fervently, that this spreads like wildfire.  I have been predicting that this is the future of the Roman Rite and I stand by it.  I have been arguing this point with friends for a few years now.  I maintain that holding off on the Sacraments of Initiation for the myriad reasons that we do shows a lack of belief in the Grace of God.  If we act as if projects need doing, boxes need ticking, essays need writing before the reception of the Sacraments, we are displaying, even unintentionally, a lack of belief in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Bishop Silva's words:
Such a plan requires that we trust in the Holy Spirit. We believe that Confirmation gives the gifts of the Holy Spirit — wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety and the fear of the Lord. Young people need these gifts as they grow up, not when they are nearly done growing up. So we will need to trust that the Spirit will fervently work in our young people from an earlier age and work in all of us as we strive to engage our youth in the life of the Church.


Amen!  Let the Grace conferred by the Sacraments lead us to do our projects, tick our boxes, and write our essays.

Do read the letter from the bishop.  It outlines what I've been saying for a while, albeit more eloquently.  Now, I'm off to share this with the people who have been forced to listen to me all these years. . .



No comments:

Post a Comment