Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Monday, May 18, 2015

Being Little

Don't ask where I found the link for this podcast episode, as I do not remember:

How Our Obsession With Greatness Kills The Ability to Do Good Work

The host and his guest are discussing podcasting (something I won't be doing from this blog, I add, in case you wonder why I am sharing this): how seeking to do grand things hurts the ability to get anything done.  This is true in the secular world; it is true on the spiritual level.

Is there such thing as coincidence?  After I hear a podcaster saying, "I spend so much time trying to make such a small difference, and it kills my productivity," I find St. Therese reminding us what it means to remain a little child before God:
It is to recognize our nothingness, to expect everything from God as a little child expects everything from its father; it is to be disquieted bout nothing, and not to be set on gaining our living. . .

To be little is not attributing to oneself the virtues that one practices, believing oneself capable of anything, but to recognize that God places this treasure in the hands of His little child to be used when necessary; but it remains always God's treasure. Finally, it is not to become discouraged over one's faults, for children fall often, but they are too little to hurt themselves much."

St. Therese of Lisieux
Her Last Conversations

It always comes back to Carmel for me, doesn't it?



No comments:

Post a Comment