Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Faith and Feelings

“I Didn’t Feel Anything”: Searching For Christ After Confirmation

Interesting article. The author shares how teens have expressed disappointment that they don't feel anything after receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation.  His remedies include: keeping up with praying, going on retreats, trying out Daily Mass, and to keep plugging away at it.

All good suggestions.  Especially "talk to God like a friend."  As St. Teresa of Avila is famous for saying, "prayer is nothing else than an intimate sharing between friends."

I'd like to humbly suggest that this conversation needs to happen before Confirmation. Less of trying to make things "exciting" and "relevant" to the younger generations.  More admitting that faith is hard, like the rest of life, and it's a good idea to bank that time with God while the going is good, so you have something on which to draw when life isn't going well.

Oh my gosh, I sound like a grumpy old man!  Maybe I should think this through a bit longer before hitting "publish."  But, no.  There is hope in my realism.  The article finishes:
While my faith is something I can’t fully explain, I stand in awe of God’s goodness every day and all I can do is share the ways I have been deeply loved in the midst of my darkest hours. I hope and pray that you discover this same love that so many have found from the love of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment