Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Dark Night Misconceptions

Is it Depression or a Dark Night of the Soul? is a helpful article that I found via Carmelite Conversations.

Even though St. John of the Cross is the go-to for reading about Dark Night, I thought of St. Teresa of Avila when I finished reading this.  She wrote in various places about people suffering nervous disorders, so she would likely approve of a contemporary look at the differences between depression and spiritual aridity.

An article that links off of this article is Am I depressed or just deep?  Well worth a read, as well.  The author had me chuckling at the recollections of my teenaged self. The Then-Me thought I was being philosophical and deep; I was really suffering a self-imposed depression.  I call it self-imposed depression because my mood back then wasn't anything that could have been helped by the medical profession.  Rather, I needed Me from the future to travel back in time and tell Then-Me to grow up a bit, stop being so self-centered, eat properly and get enough rest, and things would be a lot better.  Ah, well.  At least I am finally able to chuckle at Then-Me.  She has been haunting me for years!

No comments:

Post a Comment