Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Friday, March 27, 2015

7QT: End-of-Lent Round-up!

~  ONE  ~
Wrapping up Lent:

I started Lent with noble plans.  I’ve done fine with the giving-up parts.  In fact, it doesn’t seem like a sacrifice anymore.  By this time, I confess I don’t miss it all as much as I did at the beginning of the 40 days. 

I haven’t done as well with taking stock of what I gained from the giving up.  The learning to stop and smell the roses was meant to be a way to stop be self-involved, but to pay more attention to other people, especially the demanding three-year-old in my life.  #fail

~  TWO  ~
Consoling myself about Lenten plans:

And when night comes, and you look back over the day and see how fragmentary everything has been, and how much you planned that has gone undone, and all the reasons you have to be embarrassed and ashamed: just take everything exactly as it is, put it in God’s hands and leave it with Him. Then you will be able to rest in Him -- really rest -- and start the next day as a new life. ~--St. Teresa Benedicta

I’m a bad one for being unable to let go of the stupid things I’ve done.  St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross comes to my help.  Quote found courtesy of Elizabeth Foss.

 ~  THREE  ~
Listening to:

Bach.  St. Matthew Passion.

Why not?  It’s Lent.  See here and here for background.

 

~  FOUR  ~
Springtime Surprises:

It is typical for me to share lovely photos from my garden or from the nature I encounter when I go about my daily life.  Today, I share with you photos of the traps that the wildlife people have set at our house.  SKUNK.  I’m not sure why the skunk(s?) haven’t yet gone in!

 

~  FIVE  ~
Philosophy:

I spent some time feeling very cranky about the skunk.  After all, skunks are not why I am gardening!  The garden is meant to be a haven for birds, butterflies, beneficial bugs.  It’s meant to be a place to sit quietly and drink in the leafy greenness on a hot summer day.  It was not meant for the voles that ate too many flowers and shrubs last summer, nor for the skunk that is making its presence known this spring.

Except.

That’s life.  Every good thing we want to do has the messy bits tossed in, too.  Marriage!  Parenthood!  Friendship!  Work!  Travel!  All of those are things we choose to do because we have high hopes for life.  I'd choose all the Important  Things again, even knowing about messy parts that arise.

So, I will pay to have the skunk taken away.  And I will replant with flowers and shrubs that voles will not eat.  Because I get up and go on.

~  SIX  ~
Reading

Heading to Holy Week with two books that were recommended by two different friends.  I’m part way through both, but I’m already recommending them.


 

~  SEVEN  ~
#40BAGSIN40DAYS

Here’s my follow-up on this.  I was meant to be tossing a bag each day.  I did declutter; I didn’t blog about it.  Not that decluttering isn’t important, because it is.  Not that there aren’t spiritual elements to how we collect and rid ourselves of clutter, because there are.  I guess I was too busy doing the work to get it documented on social media, because we moved some kids around to different bedrooms, my husband built a fabulous bookcase for our playroom/schoolroom/finished-part-of-the-basement, and a lot of stuff got shifted through in all that work.

We spend Holy Week doing a good clean-out.  It’s my way of cleaning the outside along with the inside, in preparation for Easter.

 

Thanks to Kelly at This Ain’t the Lyceum for hosting Seven Quick-Takes!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment