Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Thursday, January 15, 2015

General de Sonis

Source
 
I mentioned my discovery of General Louis-Gaston de Sonis, OCDS in an earlier post.

Here is my very scattered introduction to the man.  He was a general in the French army.  He was the father of twelve children.  And he was a Secular Carmelite. 

·         This link will take you to his Wikipedia page. 

·         This link will take you to his French Wikipedia page, which is more informative than the English one. 

·         Here is a link to a scanned/microfiched newspaper page from 1929, telling of his exhumation.  There are two interesting details in this.  His body was found “in excellent state of preservation.”  The article also states his children and grandchildren were present at the ceremony; his daughter is listed as a prioress of the Carmelite at Verdun.  Très intéressant! 

·         For those who understand French, this site contains prayers useful prayers.  One was written by General de Sonis, the other is to the Sacred Heart, asking for the beatification of the General.  

Alas, there is not a lot that I can find about him online.  His cause for sainthood was proposed but I haven’t been able to find where it stopped.  Many more websites in French than in English, obviously, but I do not want to rely on my rusty French to be able to pass on information about the General. 

This book came in the mail:



But I haven’t had the time to sink my teeth into it, yet.

I do know this.  Because he was the father of twelve, I decided to ask his intercession on behalf of some children who needed help.  These children had been in need for a while, but within a week of asking General Sonis’s intercession, their situation was resolved.  It was not, emphatically not, how I would have chosen to solve their problem.  However, I am able to see how the resolution is something that can be good for each of them.  I’ll never know how it works out, as they will have moved out of my circle of acquaintance.  But I’ll always wonder if it was the intercession of this Secular Discalced Carmelite that helped them.

No comments:

Post a Comment