Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Thursday, December 4, 2014

St. John of the Cross - Feast Day Ahead!

Tomorrow is the day to begin a novena in preparation of the Feast Day of St. John of the Cross.

I haven't considered any new reflections of St. John's writings, as I did last year.  So my plan is to re-read the quotes I chose then, with the novena prayers that were posted at the St. Louis OCDS website a few years ago.

From last year:

I find myself drawn to [St. John's]“Degrees of Perfection” as written in “Counsels to a Religious.”  This link has the Counsels in entirety and its source is the same book from which I’m reading.
 
St. John of the Cross writes seventeen different degrees; I will choose nine – one for each day of the novena.  I’ll jot down my initial, fairly generic, thoughts about each degree I’ve chosen.  I shan’t write down all my thoughts, never fear, primarily because I want to avoid the impression that I’m trying to set myself up as an enlightened spiritual director.  I’m not.  I’m a spiritual neophyte with a blog.  As well, this is meant to be a focus on the writing of St. John of the Cross, not my interpretation of those writings.  Then, I will end each mini-reflection with a quote by St. John of the Cross.  This quote will come from somewhere in his writings other than “Counsels to a Religious.”

No comments:

Post a Comment