Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Friday, December 5, 2014

St. John of the Cross - Day One

Novena Prayers here.

Writings from St. John:


 
6.  Do not omit examination of conscience because of any of your occupations, and for every fault do some penance.
·         My examination of conscience tells me how much work I have to do in the area of patience.
·         It might be a good practice to become more aware of my impatience and to make restitution. 
·         Snap at the toddler? Penance: put down the book/smart phone and offer to read her a story.
·         I joke that driving the car is an occasion of sin, mainly because I can get quite cranky as a result of my own impatience.  When I set out to remedy this, it seems that every slow driver in the state finds his way in front of my car. I must reflect on the penance I’d do for losing my cool behind the wheel.
 
“In the patience and forbearance practiced in these voids and aridities, and through perseverance in its spiritual exercises without consolation or satisfaction, the soul practices the love of God.”
The Dark Night, Book One, Chapter 13

No comments:

Post a Comment