Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Friday, December 12, 2014

St. John of the Cross - Day Eight

Novena Prayer here.

St. John here:

From Degrees of Perfection:

16. Remember always that you came here for no other reason than to be a saint; thus let nothing reign in your soul that does not lead you to sanctity.

·         How much time do I waste in worrying about things beyond my control?
·         Becoming a saint requires a good deal of dying to self.  Often, I find myself being stubborn about things I should let go.  Even if (or when) I am in the right! These are the things that reign in my soul and hold me back from becoming the person God wants me to be.

“Ridding oneself of what is repugnant to God’s will should be understood not only of one’s acts but of one’s habits as well.  Not only must actual voluntary imperfections cease, but habitual imperfections must be annihilated, too.”
The Ascent of Mt. Carmel, Book Two, Chapter 5

No comments:

Post a Comment