Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Friday, August 8, 2014

7QT: Mishmash

Friday approaches, just as it did last week and the week before!

~  ONE  ~
Connie Rossini has published her book, Trusting God with St. Therese and she's doing her book tour online.  How clever!  A virtual tour!  I will give Connie her own post, tomorrow.

~  TWO  ~
Food allergies in your home?  How wonderful to have people with special dietary needs who have already figured it all out for us!  Chocolate-Walnut Freezer Fudge.  Thank you, Paleo Mom!

~  THREE  ~
I loved this:

WHAT I INSTAGRAMMED VS. WHAT WAS REALLY HAPPENING

I firmly believe it: some day, we are going to look back on all our social media staged photos and laugh.  Whenever I share photos online, I feel a twinge of shame that they are not the sort that are on the cool sites out there.  But, why?  I've never been one of those A-list, cool types.  Why feel badly for being myself?  No, I'm not advocating lowering the bar in the interest of rebellion against the Instagram world.  I'm advocating not being ashamed if you do your best with your phone's camera and you don't have an artist's eye.  In the interest of keeping it real, here is a sample of the kinds of photos that show up with an alarming frequency on my camera roll.

My lovely finger.  Not only do I have a way of taking photos I didn't know I was taking, I also forget to stop recording video.  Thus, I'll have footage of a child skipping down the sidewalk, then a minute of nausea-inducing whirls of sidewalk and grass as I walk along with the camera rolling, ending with an audible, "Oh, gosh . . . this is still recording!"

Face squished against the window.  Sometimes I take these myself; many times, they are on the camera roll courtesy of some other photographer in the house.

~  FOUR  ~
I am enamored with children's early interpretation of the human figure.  So much so, the gallery of art that runs along the wall, up the stairs in my house, is of such artwork.  Each child, but the last, has a framed sample of his or her early attempts at drawing people.  Now, the youngest will get her own framed art.  She has been doing this kind of thing all summer:


~  FIVE  ~
I am a big fan of Elizabeth Foss.  She wrote this the other day:
At varied moments throughout the day, when the noise and the drama and crush of the crowd overwhelmed me, I'd take my iPhone, my earbuds, and my perpetually sneakered self over to the adjoining hotel. I'd get to the halls of guest rooms and I'd walk, listening to Divineoffice.org. In the quiet. Up one hall, up the stairs, down the next hall, up those stairs, up to the top and then down again. Then back to the convention center, a much calmer person. It ocurred to me that I was sneaking off to walk and I did briefly wonder about the addictive behavior aspect of that, but really, it seemed all good.
Elizabeth was at a dance competition.  This was one of her survival strategies.

I've long known that I'm an introvert, but I never understood until recently that there's an HSP component to my personality.  I thought I was cranky or anti-social at times; turns out I get tired from too much stimulation in my environment.  It's how my brain is wired.  I tend to use cranky young children as my 'shield,' an excuse, when I need to step away from stimulation.  But, Elizabeth Foss didn't do that. She removed her adult self from the busyness and did what she had to do to get through the day.  I need to be smart enough to do that, when necessary.

~  SIX  ~
This deserves a blog post all its own, but I don't have time just now.  Unplugging from the 'net.  I've been doing that.  We've been very busy around the house this last week, doing jobs that need to get done. At the same time, and unrelated to housework, I've been stepping back from being connected so much to the online world.  A cursory check of headlines; almost no social media (because, here I am at Blogger).  IT HAS BEEN WONDERFUL.  I like the internet; I visit many inspiring places online.  At the same time, the internet is an energy drain, with negativity on social media or in the news.  I'm finding a new tipping place in my life, as far as online time goes.  Even inspiring websites can take the place of simply sitting quietly.  It is good to get that back.

~  SEVEN  ~
This:
source
Some of the leaves are changing on the trees.  I firmly believe in enjoying the gifts each season has to offer.  But, really.  Please . . . just a bit more summer???

I'm pleased to join in the link-up fun at Conversion Diary!

2 comments:

  1. I just noticed a few yellow leaves in our back yard, too. Startling because we haven't exactly HAD summer this year. I'm not sure it's ever topped 100. Not that I'm complaining.

    I did not recognize my need for quiet in the presence of God as a manifestation of being an introvert until the last few months. I wish someone had talked to me about introversion when I was in high school. I might have understood my experiences so differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm torn about the mild summer. I am not a big fan of lots of heat, but my nightshades haven't been as prolific in this cooler weather.

      YES! I, too, wish I had an understanding of what introversion all these years.

      Delete