Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Friday, July 11, 2014

7QT: Carmelite Edition




This edition of 7QT is inspired by another blogger who featured saints’ quotes one Friday.

The Feast Day of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel approaches.  In fact, it will be here before there’s another 7 Quick Takes Friday.  Irish Stew marks the occasion with 7 of my favorite quotes from favorite Carmelites.  I know, how does one pick only seven?  This must become a recurring theme, I think.

~  ONE  ~
“Think nothing else but that God ordains all, and where there is no love, put love, and you will draw out love.”
St. John of the Cross

~  TWO  ~
“I gave up all devotions and prayers that were not required and I devote myself exclusively to remaining always in his holy presence.  I keep myself in his presence by simple attentiveness and a general loving awareness of God that I call “actual presence of God” or better, a quiet and secret conversation of the soul with God that is lasting.”
Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection

~  THREE  ~
“Hence, the soul’s progress does not lie in thinking much but in loving much.”
St. Teresa of Avila

~  FOUR  ~
“For you already know that if prayer is to be genuine, it must be helped by these other things; prayer and comfortable living are incompatible.”
St. Teresa of Avila

~  FIVE  ~
“Remember that our degree of glory will depend on the degree of grace in which God finds us at the moment of death; allow Him to complete His work of predestination in you.”
Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity

~  SIX  ~
“I think that in Heaven my mission will be to draw souls by helping them go out of themselves to cling to God by a wholly simple and loving movement, and to keep them in this great silence within that will allow God to communicate Himself to them and transform them into Himself.”
Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity

~  SEVEN  ~
“Life is not sad! On the contrary, it is very happy.  If you were to say: ‘The exile is sad,’ I would understand you.  We make a mistake in giving the name of life to what must come to an end.  It is only to the things of heaven, to what must never die that we must give this real name; and, under this title, life is not sad, but happy, very happy!”
St. Therese of Lisieux

Thanks go to the gracious hostess at Conversion Diary!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment