Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Reading: Bear by Himself



BEAR BY HIMSELF
By Geoffrey Hayes

Sorry, but it appears to be out of print.


“There are times when a bear has to be alone with himself, to think his own thoughts and sing his own songs.  He must pause and enjoy: listening to the quiet . . .”


 




My mother read this book to me, when I was a child.  I think it affirmed the introvert in me.  It still does that.

It’s rather ironic that, when I’m trying to get a peaceful start to my day by spending time alone, in prayer, trying to be understanding of the toddler who will not sleep in, this is one of the books she asks me to read over and over.  She doesn't acknowledge the irony when I do read, with great emphasis, “There are times when a bear has to be alone with himself . . .”

A bit of research shows that the book was re-published in 1998.  One of the reviews on Amazon says that the illustrations aren’t as nice.  That’s a pity.  I wonder why a publisher would feel the need to re-do a popular book.

No comments:

Post a Comment