Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

#Fail

Homemade Yogurt.

A skill I've been wanting to acquire.

I like yogurt, but have yet to find a yogurt on the market that does not cause my ears to plug up.  [Well, I may have found a safe yogurt.  More on that in a moment.]  This means that a legume is being introduced into the yogurt-making process, somewhere that does not show up on the label.  Soy?  A gum as a thickener?  I don't know.  All I know is that I can cheat with a small amount of yogurt from time to time, but if I indulge too much, the mystery ingredients make their presence known with ill effects.

Just as I determined to give it a go myself, I saw a new yogurt in the grocery store.  From Maple Hill Creamery.  I bought a plain variety, to use as a starter for my homemade attempt; I grabbed a maple-flavored one, as well.  No immediate side effects noticed!

I've been researching yogurt-making methods for months.  The recipe I followed came from this website, but it's quite like most recipes I've found.  I chose this one in the end because of the way the step-by-step was worded.

Ready to go!


Doing its thing!


I did not take any photos of the yogurt being whisked into the warm milk.  Aren't you sad?

Keeping toasty warm!

No photos of the transfer from the slow cooker to the storage bowl.  That was disheartening, as the finished product didn't look much like yogurt.  It was more milk with some yogurt clumps in it.  I didn't lose hope, though.  Many online sources said that yogurt will only thicken once it's been in the fridge for a while.  So.  I put the concoction in the fridge and went to bed.

Next morning . . . .




Certainly these photos capture the liquidity of my "yogurt."

It smells like yogurt.  It tastes like a liquid plain yogurt.  But it's thinner than any kefir I've ever had to drink.

At first, I decided to go ahead and drink it, so as not to waste the organic milk and grass-fed yogurt I'd bought for the recipe.  But halfway into the cup, I started to wonder about the bacteria I was drinking.  Good bacteria?  Bad bacteria?  I DON'T KNOW!!!!  So I poured that cup down the drain.

At the moment, the "yogurt" sits in my fridge, whilst I decide if it is safe to consume.

I'm not giving up, yet.  If I can do this without a yogurt maker, I'd like to do it.  Are yogurt makers foolproof?  Perhaps I'll try a stove-top recipe, using my thermometer.  More to follow, one of these days . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment