Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Monday, March 17, 2014

Lenten Re-set Button?

The only thing I had with which to start Lent was that I wanted to slow down and to do things with love.  I was struggling because I kept coming up short on ideas for how to do this.  And, admittedly, I was complaining because the flu had slowed me down against my will.

Before heading to Adoration the other day, I wasn't sure what reading to bring with me.  On a whim, I grabbed Brother Lawrence's The Practice of the Presence of God.  There was even a bookmark still in it, either randomly stuck there or placed where I thought something was important.

Imagine my joy, when arriving at church, to discover that Brother Lawrence had written instructions that were perfect for my attempts this Lent!  Right where I'd left the bookmark, too.

From Spiritual Maxims, Chapter 2:



6.  The holiest, most ordinary, and most necessary practice of the spiritual life is that of the presence of God.  It is to take delight in and become accustomed to his divine company, speaking humbly and conversing lovingly with him all the time, at every moment, without rule or measure, especially in times of temptation, suffering, aridity, weariness, even infidelity and sin.

7.  We must continually apply ourselves so that all our actions, without exception, become a kind of brief conversation with God, not in a contrived manner but coming from the purity and simplicity of our hearts.



8.  We must perform all our actions carefully and deliberately, not impulsively or hurriedly, for such would characterize a distracted mind.  We must work gently and lovingly with God, asking him to accept our work, and by this continual attention to God we will crush the head of the devil and force the weapons from his hands.

Slow down.  Work with love.

Last week, I lamented that my toddler was slowing me down in ways I didn't want to slow down. Well, silly me.  She's not getting in the way of my Lenten resolutions, she is part of them!  Sorry, God!  Thank you, Br. Lawrence!

No comments:

Post a Comment