Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Friday, March 28, 2014

7QT Friday


~  ONE  ~
Any musicians out there? My husbands jokes that we need to explore the violin as a path for the youngest child, for convenience. He texted me recently as he was waiting for our ballet dancer to leave the theater for the afternoon. The musicians were already heading home, but not the dancers. I laughed, as I'd been noticing that the musicians tend to arrive at the theater the same time I do, as a theater attendee, not HOURS before performance time, as dancers, actors, technical crew. Oh, well. Theater hours are long, no matter your role.

~  TWO  ~
Random observation from a mother who has learned a thing or two over the years: parents talk too much. I hear it when I'm out and about. I think we need to give kids more time for reflection and self-exploration before swooping in to explain, to seize the teachable moment, to validate feelings, or to express our disapproval of naughty behavior with long sentences that a 4-year-old is going to tune out anyway. Not that there isn't a time for conversation. It's a matter of balance. I haven't always known how to strike this balance and it's painful when I recognize this tendency in other parents.

~  THREE  ~
Oh, dear. Whilst thinking about how parents need to allow for more kid-directed exploration, Child 5 pops in with the news that she knows how to make mud. "Spit in the dirt under the swing! It turns to mud!" Ahhh. Is that what I was hoping for? Hm.

~ FOUR  ~
It was cold again this week. But. Progress in the garden.

The crocus came our this week, when I wasn't looking:



The daffodils are getting taller:


The snowdrops have been out for a few weeks, but I'm including them here, just to convince me that winter won't last forever:



~  FIVE  ~
Child 2 was reading about people suffering depression from reading Facebook posts because they think everyone's life is perfect and then feel inadequate because theirs isn't. Perhaps that's why I'm suffering from the winter that won't give up: I'm spending time reading garden blogs, garden books, garden magazines. And reminding myself what the bulbs are doing in other climates where we've lived. I should concentrate on my own climate's progress. Spring will happen. It will.


~  SIX  ~
James is one of my favorite books from the Bible. He came to my rescue from Chapter 4, verse 10:

Humble yourselves before the Lord and he will exalt you.
I've not been able to meet many of my Lenten goals, mostly due to things outside my control. Good lesson in itself, I think. I'm not sure how I'll end up exalted, but I've finally gotten around to admitting to God that I have to give up on my plans, without knowing what His are, so I wait… impatiently. I trust, but I'm prone to feel anxious when there's not a clear plan before me.


~  SEVEN  ~
On a lighter note. A You Tube clip that had Child 6 (the toddler) in stitches. A funny dog, but I enjoy watching the cat. This clip epitomizes the personalities of cats and dogs. It's why I'm more a cat person than a dog person.



UPDATE: That embed seems to be working on the desktop, but it isn't working on my phone.  Here's the link, if there is no video showing for you.

Thanks so much to Jennifer at Conversion Diary, for hosting 7 Quick Takes Friday


No comments:

Post a Comment