Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Friday, March 7, 2014

7 Quick Takes Friday

7 Quick Takes Friday: First Friday of Lent Edition

~ ONE  ~

This seems weird to be posting this, when I've give up/cut back on social media. (Given up some, cut back on others.) I haven't given up wholesome blogs, but I won't be checking in with other 7QT link-ups until Sunday.

~  TWO  ~

I had been having such a hard time, in the days leading up to Lent, in finding one focus of my prayers, fasting, and good works.  There were two things that kept popping up, both in personal prayer and in the writings of my favorite online people.  Slow down.  Love.  And then the flu hit and my attempt at anything grand had to be forgotten.  I was forced to slow down.  I was forced to react to the little annoyances things in life with love.  Uh, thank you, God, for my getting the flu?

~  THREE  ~

Because of my indecision, I have pages of journaling about Lent.  Not sure if it'll make its way to the blog.  Maybe for Monday Musings. But, I am slowing down.  Even post-flu, I intend to keep as slow as possible.

~  FOUR  ~

Spring cleaning! I'm still on my urge to purge.  Goodwill, here I come!

A number of years ago, I used Holy Week as a time for cleaning out the entire house, top to bottom.  A physical way to start fresh with the Resurrection.  That became too big to do in one week, so we are tacking different areas of the house throughout Lent.

~  FIVE  ~

Smart Martha is a favorite source of mine.  I struggle to keep my Mary and my Martha in a healthy balance.  I enjoy visiting the Smart Martha website for inspiration on keeping both house and soul clean and organized!

~  SIX  ~

I'm fairly certain I posted something on here about Clutterfree with Kids by Joshua Becker. Forgive my still-recovering-from-flu brain for not remembering what I've written.  I'm at the part of the book where he writes about examining our own feelings about holding on to things.

Would you typically classify yourself as a sentimental person?  Why or why not?  Is there a deeper answer than "It's just the way I am?"

What specific type of sentimental items do you struggle parting with?

Has your collection of sentimental items (whether yours or your children's) become burdensome in any way?

What is a good first step to begin decluttering the sentimental things in your home?

I find it much easier to let go of sentimental items the longer I've been alive.  My biggest hurdle is probably things that remind me of my children's babyhood: clothes, toys, artwork.  It has become easier, though, when I know I am making an effort to be present in the moment with them. Even if I am annoyed (at first) at having to put down my book in order to read to a little person, I am glad I did it.  Even if I'd rather read when someone wants to have a chat, I put down the book/Kindle App.  So, when I find myself having to get rid of an article of clothing that is very tattered, or not my taste but still reminiscent of the baby days, I tell myself I'm being silly.  Focusing on the moment (even with those who are not babies) means it's okay to let go of what once was.  I hope that makes sense.  This sentiment is more eloquently written in the book:

[T]hose who do not feel internally secure in their personal relationships will often put a higher value on physical possessions.

Just so.  If I am putting a higher than necessary value on physical possessions (particularly those things from the past), it's time for an examination of conscience about how much I am putting into my personal relationships today.

~  SEVEN  ~

THE WEATHER IS GETTING WARMER!  Not quite full into spring, yet.  But I've brought in some forsythia clippings, to force a pretty bloom.







Thanks to Jen at Conversion Diary for hosting 7 Quick Takes Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment