Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Thursday, February 27, 2014

7 Posts, 7 Days: Now we’re cooking!



Still hanging in here with Day 4 of 7 Posts, 7 Days!

Today I feature a recipe I made up all by myself.  This is big.  Typically, I am a baker who follows recipes with scientific precision.  Only recently have I been able to conjure up my own creations.  Then I write it down before I forget, since I’d never be able to replicate it!

This recipe was inspired by those microwave-cakes-in-a-coffee-cup recipes.  I prefer to use the microwave for reheating purposes, so I’m not fond of eating something that has been cooked entirely by the microwave. 

I needed to make cake for the members of the family who cannot eat chocolate or wheat flour.  So I considered the ingredients that are in many full-sized cakes and attempted to scale it down for a small batch of mini-cakes.   

N.B.: This is not health food.  This is not healthy.  It was for a birthday, so that those who have food sensitivities could indulge in a treat like the rest of the family!

We own some small metal baking pans, about 5 inches in diameter and 1.5 inches high.  Presumably, they are used for small tartelettes.  This recipe fills three of these little pans.

This goes by the prosaic name of. . . . 

wait for it . . .
  
Gluten-free, Legume-free, Nightshade-free Cake

Mix together with a fork:

1/3 cup butter, softened
4 TBL sugar

Stir in:

2 eggs

Pour on top of these and then stir:

2 TBL arrowroot powder
1 TBL tapioca flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

Pour into the pans.  Grease, if the pans are not coated.  Bake at 350* for 15-18 minutes.  The cakes will test done, just as a standard wheat flour cake.  The result was a spongy textured cake.  Not grainy, as many gluten-free flour recipes.

I frosted our cakes with a raspberry buttercream frosting.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment