Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Polar Vortex

What does this look like to you?



To me (since it is from my camera, after all), it looks like a snow-covered garden.  With a pergola post in the center of the photo.

To the birds, it looks like a smorgasbord.  Robins, thrush, and starlings are today's visitors. They are eating the berries off the ivy on the pergola posts and the privet hedge berries (barely noticeable, in the background).  Their feathers all puffed up in defense against the cold, they snag a berry and then find a place to perch whilst they eat it.  They haven't been eager to pose for me, so I don't have any photographic evidence of that.

As soon as the promised warmth returns, I am interested in finding out if they have been snacking off the holly I planted especially for the birds who stay here for the winter.  That bush cannot be seen without venturing into the snow and cold, so I will wait.  The dogwood tree has been stripped of its berries already, thanks to the hungry cowbirds.  Even in the winter, the garden fulfills its "beautiful and useful" duties.

We've been keeping warm during Polar Vortex 2014. I'm grateful for that.  The only driving I've had to do on the icy roads was not bad, as fellow drivers were taking care to travel at decent speeds.  It is hard to believe that they are predicting rain and 46 degrees by Saturday!  Gotta love this Midwest living!  (Unless you don't like weather extremes.  Which I didn't used to do.  But I've learned to embrace it as a metaphor for life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment