Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

St. John of the Cross Novena: Day Six


From Degrees of Perfection:

12.  Pay no attention to the affairs of others, whether they be good or bad, for besides the danger of sin, this is a cause of distractions and lack of spirit.

·         Gossip! This is an area where I can boast in the grace of God.  I was once a bit of a gossip, taking too much interest in “the affairs of others, whether they be good or bad.”
·         Does excessive checking of Twitter, Facebook, blogs constitute an over interest in the affairs of others?  Alas, for me, those things can be a distraction and I have to be disciplined about my use of the internet. Especially political things.  I can get so wrapped up in all that.
·         St. John of the Cross would probably counsel me to pray, rather than waste time on other things.  Pray for the state of the world, rather than checking in on breaking news to see what’s happening to it!

“Let those, then, who are singularly active . . . observe here that they would profit the Church and please God much more . . . were they to spend at least half the time with God in prayer.”
Spiritual Canticle, Stanza 29

No comments:

Post a Comment