Gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
~ GK Chesterton

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

{Virtual} Coffee

If we were having coffee, I'd have to warn you that I never write in a few words what I can write in a few paragraphs.  Sorry.  I know that needs improvement.

If we were having coffee, I'd tell you how pleased I was to find Caffeinated Catholic Mama. I don't remember where I found the link.  I've only made a dent in reading over there, but I like what I see already.  Recently, Karianna shared how she did the October Dress Project. I am a new adherent to the whole 10-Item Wardrobe/Capsule Wardrobe philosophy, so I've come across those one-dress-type of challenges; there's not a lot of that on Catholic blogs.

If we were having coffee, I'd have to tell you that I haven't always liked coffee. I never really understood the people who couldn't function without it.  Back in the day, I thought General Foods International Coffees were strong and bitter coffees. Believe it or not, I thought Starbucks Frappaccinos were a sophisticated tasting coffee.  My first flirtation with the world of coffee drinking came when Child 4 went though a bad flu and I didn't sleep well for many nights in a row.  One morning, I crept into the kitchen to pour a cup of coffee from the pot my husband had brewed for himself.  Well, it not only woke me up, it made me happy and even displaced the need for food I didn't have time to eat.  That was just a temporary, purely medicinal use of coffee.  More on the change in a moment. . .

If we were having coffee, I'd have to confess how I've gotten off easily in many respects, compared with other parents.  I've had five children who were actually rather easy to nighttime parent.  They'd fall asleep before I was ready to go to bed; they'd stay asleep, then wake up after I was ready to wake up. I can nurse and sleep simultaneously and nighttime worked well. Bliss!  Then, during my pregnancy with Child 6, I was awakened in the middle of the night by some fairly violent fetal movement!  Often.  Never happened before.  She's kept that habit of not respecting nighttime hours, ever since.  Thus, I turned to coffee out of necessity.  And now I get a headache if I don't have my morning cup.  But the amazing development is that I actually like it!  I tastes good!  I can taste differences in quality amongst different brands.  My preference is for coffee with a bit of brown sugar and whole cream, but I'm just as happy with it black.  And now I understand why those coffee people consider frappaccinos to be dessert!

If we were having coffee, I'd ask your opinion on pumpkin.  My husband says it should be used only in bread or pie.  And only simple, unadulterated pumpkin pie.  I would like to have a go at the new-twists-on-old-pie recipes.  I also enjoy pumpkin in savory recipes, like pumpkin soup.  Mmmmm. . . .

If we were having coffee, in real life, I'd be the quietest one at the table.


No comments:

Post a Comment